Sunday, April 25, 2010

CAMP ECHO 2010


Year three has begun! Not like I expected it to, delays in Houston, Delays at the BTC, getting assigned to a small site in South Iraq. Nothig seemed to go the way it was supposed to. My first two years went very smoothly and I had hoped that would continue in my third year. I had hoped, and was trying to make arrangements, to stay on the VBC this year but my second day at the BTC I got my assignment. G-6, Camp Echo, Ad Diwaniyah, Iraq. Again, not what I wanted initially, all my "contacts" failed to keep me at the VBC, not their faults, just staffing issues at certain bases.
I had hoped to have a change of scenery in Iraq during my 3rd year, although I was thinking more along the lines of Camp Slayer (The name alone would have been worth it, think of the FD tee shirts you could make! SWEET!!)

anyway............
Disregard the arrow, from Baghdad, Ad Diwaniyah is SE approximatly 30 min by Helo (@ approx. 5:00 on the map). This is NOT a classified map, I got it off Google.

I was a little put off at first, then I realized I would get my Blackhawk ride I always wanted, things would not be as busy as on the VBC, AND we would probably get to workout more! I was mostly worried about the living conditions, DFAC and internet service. As it turns out, things are pretty good around here, the living conditions are great, I have a my own CHU (Compartmentalized Housing Unit), basically a trailer divided into sections. My room is about 10'x10', brand new, full size refrigerator and an A/C unit that keeps it very cool. We have our own Toilet and shower trailers that are maintained by KBR, again, new, very clean and mere steps away from my room. The DFAC is great, apparently one of the top two in country. Work-wise there are 2000 inspections on base, most completed by the FPO and some bt the Firefighters. Much less than Victory! And finally the gym, a rarity on the VBC, these guys are able to go workout everyday, except Sundays when they take the day off. There is also a full sized running track next to the station with workout stations (pull-up, sit-up, etc.).


We staff an Engine, Tanker, Chief Vehicle and a Utility (Suburban) for the FPO.

Engine 761

Tanker 761

Rescue 761, currently not staffed, rumored to be shipped to Afghanistan soon.


Here are some pictures of the Fire Station compound. It is made up of 9 trailers and 2 connex trailers and is surrounded by Hesco barriers. There are two openings to drive in/out of the parking area/apparatus bays.

The Hesco compound walls.

Looking down to the Dispatch Center.


Truck Bays.

In front of my new room.

My little slice of heaven in Iraq, all 100 square feet of it!

My full sized refrigerator, now full of Monsters, V8, and Pineapple Juice!

Check out the view!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment